Kindy to Graduation, a sweet journey

Posted by Gavin Box

Thanks to College parent Ciara for this Blog item – reflecting on a beautiful moment at the 2023 Year 12 Valedictory Dinner.

Three graduates who have attended the College since Kindergarten – Novalee C, Tiana M and Jezarni B, had the honour of cutting the cake at the dinner.

Below are some more photos of the three girls, taken in 2010 when they were in Kindy.

CHRISTMAS GENEROSITY

Appeal gifts deliver joy across the globe

By Tamicah Pettigrew
Chaplain

We would like to say a big thank you to everyone who generously donated to our Samaritan’s Purse Operation Christmas Child Shoe Box Appeal, making it a success.

In the last week of Term 3, the Primary Student Council had fun packing donations into the shoe boxes.

On Wednesday this week our team delivered 145 boxes to a local collection point.

What a blessing to know that our efforts as a College will contribute to bringing joy to children across the world this Christmas.

Our Wellbeing Team is here to assist students on their wellbeing journey.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you think we can be of assistance.

CHALK TALK

Sonja Lochner: ‘I don’t do boring’

What is your teaching position at Geraldton Christian College? Y7–12 Food Science Technology Teacher, Netball co-ordinator
Where did you obtain your teaching qualification? I studied at the University of the Free State in South Africa, a four year bachelor degree, around 15 years ago.
When did you start at Geraldton Christian College? January 2023
For those who don’t know you, tell us a bit about yourself. I’m a creative individual who enjoys creating imaginative dishes that tantalise the taste buds. I strive in the bustling world of event planning, combining my passion for cooking with socialising. I enjoy theatre, music and adventures. I have two boys, aged 5 and 10.
What is your background and what did you do before you came to Geraldton Christian College? I’ve been a teacher for almost 15 years. Teaching most subjects, coaching sport, dance and working on different projects and fundraisers.
Where were you born and where have you lived before coming to Geraldton? I was born and raised in South Africa. Lived in Gauteng, Pretoria.
In a nutshell, what has been your journey of faith? Have you always been a Christian? I have always been a Christian. I don’t know any other way. My Christianity been part of my whole life. I can’t imagine my life without Christ by my side. I strongly believe I am placed in positions or situations by Him to either use or teach me. I always ask “What would Jesus do” in most situations and strive to be an example to others.
What would be the key life-shaping lesson you have learned about God/Christian discipleship, etc, that you would like to impart to young people? To embrace lifelong learning and adaptability as your greatest tools to success. In a world that is always changing, build and keep your foundations strong to ensure a fulfilling life. Always find the positive in a situation and keep looking up!
What was the toughest time of your life and how did God help you through it? Emigration to Australia and leaving my family behind. God is still helping me process it all and to adapt. My daily prayer is for God to grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
Recreation/hobbies/interests. When you are not teaching, what are the things that you love to do? Listen to music, dance, play Playstation (Mario, Island Style and Tetris), BBQ, hosting events, swing in a park, shop shop shop.
A little known thing about you. People may be surprised to discover that you … Can design and make clothes. I knit and crochet. I participated in several beauty pageants. I love speed and racing, especially F1 and rollercoasters!
Anything else you would like to add? Although I’m a teacher, I will always have the desire to learn and explore new things or places. I don’t do boring and ordinary is not in my vocabulary.

DRAMA FUN

Mask-making, improv and ‘bruises’

By Shelley Cox
Drama Teacher

Year 4 students have been making masks out of papier mache to enhance their play performances linked to their chosen character.

Year 5/6 students have been using the drama skill of improvisation while performing a live news reporter presentation for their class. Thank you to Lelani M, who helped out during the term doing service work in the school. 

Year 9 students have been learning about special effects make-up and how to create bruises.

BRAIN FOOD

Thinking about a growth mindset

By Carmen Blay
Year 3 Teacher

Year 3 students have been blessed with weekly visits from Mrs Pomery, our school support counsellor.

It’s always a wonderful time, with challenges, chuckles and bonding.

Through books, games and discussions, we had opportunities to share our thoughts, learn about our brains and how to develop a growth mindset.

In class we discussed what our brain needs to grow., with students discovering they need food and water, exercise and sleep.  

They learnt that their brain began growing and changing from the moment they came to be in their mum’s womb. 

They also talked about having a go, even when things are difficult, and never giving up. Doing our best helps to forms new neurons in the brain.

Students discovered that they can teach their brain to react calmly and positively when things get hard. 

In paris, students also attempted to draw pictures differently.   

One student held the pen still while the other student moved the paper underneath to create a drawing. 

It was a fun and challenging activity that resulted in some unusual art. 

WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Accelerated Reader competition hits top gear

By Library staff

Last Friday, the Library’s first Accelerated Reader competition came to a conclusion.

A big thank-you to all of the teachers and classes that participated.

It was a joy to see the students take on the challenge, work together with their classmates and do so excitedly!

Winners in the three categories:

Lower Primary – Yr 2/3 class with 819 points

Upper Primary –  Yr 5/6 class with 1646 points

Secondary – Yr 7.2 English class with 942 points

Well done to Omega, who won the House competition with a score of 2676 points. Alpha was not far behind with a score of 2331.

Congratulations to all who participated and to the winners, who have a class party to look forward to!

Noticeboard