Wadjarri worship time!

Posted by Gavin Box

By Brenda Pattenden
Kindergarten Teacher

Our delighted Kindy class were absolutely blessed last week when they met local Aboriginal lady Maureen Merritt!

Maureen took the time to come into our class and help the children learn the words for “God is so good” in our local Wadjarri language.

She enlisted the help of her 80-year-old mum, Olive, for this project and we look forward to singing it during our Early Years Presentation Morning on Thursday 2 December.

How precious has this experience been, not only for our Kindy children to connect with our broader community, but to witness first-hand how our local traditional language is being passed down through the generations in the form of a wonderful worship song glorifying our mighty King.

Back row: Kindergarten EA Nateeka White, Maureen Merritt, “Mrs Fay” and Kindergarten Teacher Brenda Pattenden with, front, the Kindy class.
Maureen Merritt, left, and “Mrs Fay” (on guitar) visit the Kindergarten.

Enrolments 2022

We’re happy to advise that enrolments at the College are strong and on the rise. If your child/ren will not be continuing enrolment at the College in 2022, it is important that you submit a Student Withdrawal Form to the College by Monday 22 November 2022 to avoid being charged a $500 fee in lieu of sufficient notice.  If you have any queries, please contact Mrs Fiona Davidson, Executive Assistant to Principal & Enrolments, fiona.davidson@gcc.wa.edu.au.

CANTEEN NEWS

Online orders extended

Taking into account busy days for parents as Term 4 draws to a close, the Canteen will offer an additional service: online lunch orders on a Tuesday. The new service will come into operation next week.

To use the service, simply register your child with QuickCliq.

The College will monitor the results of the Tuesday service and will decide at the end of the year if it will be further extended in 2022 to include recess and before school sales.

Imogen and Kiki, centre back row, with Kindy staff and students.
STUDENT SERVICE

Art tells story of belonging

By Nateeka White
Kindergarten EA

It has been lovely to have Year 11 students Imogen and Kiki join us in Kindy, as part of their service work.

These girls have been so helpful working with the children on different activities and have become loved by our class.

As part of their service to us they took our plain looking “belonging tree” and returned it brightly coloured.

They were given free rein to paint it however they would like and did such a beautiful job.

We use the belonging tree to hang our name tags on as we arrive at school to show who is here.

The tree represents that we belong to this special Kindy class.

Thank you, Imogen and Kiki, for making our tree so fun and bright.

The finished Belonging Tree!
Kiki lends a helping hand.
Imogen and Kiki with the children.

CRAFTSMANSHIP ON SHOW

Check out these projects!

By Rovaun Alexander
Design & Technology Teacher

Please join me in congratulating the Year 11 D&T students on the completion of their final projects. The Materials Design Unit 2 and Technology General course is a practical course.

It allows students to explore and use materials, particularly wood, with the design and manufacture of products as the major focus.

Students examine social and cultural values including the environmental impact of the use of materials and associated technologies.

Their design processes started at the beginning of Semester 2 with their folios and concluded at the end of week 5 this term.

Special thanks to Mr Sean Richards for the online CAD tutorials.

Projects included:

• A live edge (epoxy-less) side table. By Oliver E.
  • A heavy outdoor jarrah patio table, by Emma DK. Timber was recycled from the old kindergarten building.
  • A retro plywood and perspex TV stand, by Isaac H.
  • A portable chess board, by Lachlan J. The board was made from scrap wood.

Bronwyn’s greatest joys … Jesus and children!
CHALK TALK

Greatest love of all

She’s been a missionary, a high school chaplain, a Salvation Army officer, a homeschooling mum and studied at university as a mature-aged student. Life is rich for Year 1 Teacher BRONWYN WHITE, who tells her story of wonderfully discovering God’s great love.

When and where did you obtain your teaching qualification? Qualified 2016 through Edith Cowan University (Open Uni Australia).

When did you start working at Geraldton Christian College? 1 February 2017.

For those who don’t know you, tell us a bit about yourself. How would you describe yourself? I am married to Rob, a grandmother of 10 and mother of four beautiful human beings. I am a lover and follower of the Lord Jesus Christ, and I’m a lifelong learner.

What is your background and what did you do before you came to Geraldton Christian College? My children were all students at Geraldton Christian College (then Strathalbyn, of course) so I have been around for quite some time as a parent. But I have also been a Salvation Army Officer (12 years), a high school chaplain at Geraldton Senior (8 years), a homeschooling mum, a missionary in East Timor (18 months) a very mature aged student (Uni from aged 50 to 55!) Life’s full and rich!

Where were you born and where have you lived before coming to Geraldton (assuming you weren’t born and raised here)? Born in Port Pirie in South Australia. Lived in Melbourne, Tassie (New Norfolk) and Port Hedland, before Geraldton.

I am continually impressed by a God who gives and gives, even when I mess up

Bronwyn White

In a nutshell, what has been your journey of faith? Have you always been a Christian? If not, how did this come about? From a dysfunctional family, I was placed in the care of my dear grandmother. When I was very young, she told me (and showed me) that Jesus loves me. I believed her (because she was amazing at showing love. I reckoned she might be an expert). Then, as I grew up, I checked it out (the Bible says, “Taste and see that the Lord is good”). It’s true. I have never stopped loving Him. I am continually impressed by a God who gives and gives even when I mess up. The forgiveness of God, the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus has to be the most wonderful and life-changing love story of all time. Ask me about it. It’s my favourite subject.

What would be the key life-shaping lesson you have learned about God/Christian discipleship, etc, that you would like to impart to young people. “If I could teach students one thing, it would be …”: Read the Bible. Work out how to read it best. Don’t just believe what people tell you. Read it…read it again. There is nothing dull or boring in there. Pursue the challenges that the text offers. Listen to God when you read it. Read with friends. Did I mention that you should read the Bible?

Greatest joy of your life? Jesus…and children…and grandchildren…and Jesus.

Toughest time of your life and how God helped you through it? I’m not all private about this. It’s just that I am not so sure I’ve had huge challenges. Maybe in my childhood life was tricky, but it was a long time ago and God heals old wounds.

Recreation/hobbies/interests. “When I am not teaching, the things I love most to do are…”: Play with my grandchildren. Gardening and generally hanging out with Rob.

A little-known thing about you. “People may be surprised to discover that I…”: Bought myself an e-bike. I’m a bit nervous about riding it but it’s my next challenge. Oh no! Now it’s out there, I’m going to have to ride it!

Lest we forget. Mrs White and Education Assistant Debbie Haagensen with the Year 1 class.

YEAR 12 GRADUATION

Parting words on the journey of life

We can try to build our identity and self-worth on people or things, but the trouble is they fail us. Yet there is a way to do life differently … discovering an identity that is life-changing, rich, fulfilling and unshakeable. Secondary Teacher JOHN TILINGER shares his hopes and prayers for the graduating 2021 Year 12 class in this Valedictory Dinner address.

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, and especially warm greetings to our most honoured guests, the graduating Year 12 cohort of 2021. According to Sebastian, the preferred greeting of the Year 12 cohort is “yo, yo, yo”, so “yo” indeed.

Having generally taught subjects that people don’t like much, it was a surprise be asked by the Year 12s to deliver some parting words – it is my privilege to do so. Despite being the mental and emotional age of a 17-year-old myself, not to mention the physical age of a 17-year-old, I do hope that I can provide some words of guidance that will be helpful.

Today is a day of celebration. We are gathered to celebrate your achievements. High school is a difficult time and simply getting through it is great! Congratulations. Many of you have performed well academically, some have excelled in sport, others among you have made lifelong friends. These are all great achievements. Well done.

However, we are also celebrating the end of something. Today signifies a move into a new phase of life. I’m sure most of you are excited to close the book on this chapter. However, while exciting, having to turn to the next chapter may bring feelings of uncertainty, insecurity, anxiety and fear.

I graduated from high school a week before I moved interstate, from NSW to WA. Due to my pessimistic nature and general sarcasm (a Bella-esque personality), my emotions were mostly negative. Primarily, I left school with a sense of shame. I was embarrassed because of how I was at school. Because of the mistakes I had made and opportunities I had wasted.

In the chaos of teenage life, I had abandoned friends for stupid reasons, hurt others and dated someone for two weeks in Year 9, despite never speaking to them. I was also desperately afraid that my shame would follow me. I wanted to re-create myself, to be better, to build a new identity. I wanted a fresh start.

My experiences may resonate with you, or they may not. Nonetheless, today is about your new journey. Today you begin stepping out into greater independence. Over time the views of your parents and guardians will define you less. You will make your own decisions and they will culminate in a new identity.

It is easy for you to let events unfold and go with the flow, but ultimately will have to come to a decision: Who will you be? What will define you? From where will you draw your identity?

I left school wanting a fresh start. I felt like I did not truly know who I was and I wanted to find out. There are many ways you could try to build a new identity throughout the journey you are about to embark on.

Around your age I came to the realisation that lots of people draw their identity from stuff. A nice house and a car and continual upgrades were what they needed to be comfortable.

All the while, they become distracted and numb to the real issues in the world. I knew this path wasn’t for me. At university I tried to draw my identity from others. It was important to me that I was liked. But it’s amazing how little you learn about yourself when you spend all your time trying to impress others.

A break-up and a few failed friendships later, I realised that you can’t draw your worth from others. There is limited security and human relationships can easily crumble. It seems most people base their identity on earthly things that often fall apart when trouble comes.

Thankfully, I learnt more and more about Jesus as I grew older. I found a truer, more stable and more satisfying identity by knowing Him. You might know the story of Nicodemus, who snuck out to see Jesus one night. He was a brainy guy, like Mason.

But he wasn’t rebellious. He would have followed all the rules, like Jean and Ashley. Most people would have loved him because was a top expert in the Jewish law, but he wasn’t satisfied. He seemed to think Jesus had something more to offer.

Year 12 students show their appreciation to Mr Tilinger at their Final Assembly.

We are not powerful enough to re-create ourselves … knowing Jesus is the key to finding the real you.

John Tilinger

Jesus said to him: “Unless someone is born again, he will not see the kingdom of God.” Nicodemus, with probably the most disturbing mental image ever conceived, replied: “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” Jesus goes on to explain that only God’s spirit can make somebody born again.

Yes, I know it’s not a Religion and Life lesson. What is my point? If you want a new you, a fresh start, and a fulfilling identity, you cannot force it into existence through your own efforts. All things that humans make eventually crumble, regardless of how much work is put into their construction and maintenance. A self-made identity is no different! But, as Nicodemus discovered, an identity that comes out of God’s power is life-changing, rich, fulfilling and unshakeable.

When you were in Year 11, I asked you to write a list of the main things that defined you. I remember most of you found it hard. Some of you admitted that your lists were a bit shallow. At the time, many of you found it confronting. Now you are commencing a new journey. It is a time to start making decisions about what will be added to these lists of your defining attributes.

If I hadn’t found my true identity in Jesus, this is what my list of defining qualities would be like today:
• I’m not 30… yet. Phew.
• I’m married.
• I have a house, but I haven’t moved in yet.
• I want a cat, but I’m allergic.
• My car is green.
• I own a TV.
• Coke… is my beverage of choice.
• I’m Australian.
• I play sport, sometimes, generally poorly.
• Mr Grimsley is my (only) friend.

It’s all a bit boring, isn’t it? With Jesus, my list is has turned out a lot different:
• I am a child of God.
• Jesus is my Saviour.
• I have a purpose.
• Death will not destroy me.
• Trouble will never overtake me.
• Heaven is my real home.
• All Christians are my family.

I’m sure you have your own opinion about which list you like the sound of better. The new journey you’re embarking on, after all, is your journey. All I can say is that your teachers, myself included, have all commenced the same journey at some point in our lives, and we have found our identity in Jesus.

We took the Nicodemus path, realising that we are not powerful enough to re-create ourselves. We believe that knowing Jesus is the key to finding the real you.

Who will you be? What will define you? From where will you draw your identity? You will think about these things more and more as you enter the next chapter of your life. It is my hope and prayer that you will all find answers that truly satisfy.

Spotted in passing …

By Gavin Box
Communications Officer

There are plenty of great devotional resources freely available for iPhone users.

One is the Logos Bible. Along with handy Bible study tools, it includes a library of books including one gem called “Every Square Inch: An Introduction to Cultural Engagement for Christians” by Bruce Riley Ashford.

Its chapters examine the arts, sciences, politics, economics and also education, which caught my eye.

In particular, here is one section from that chapter, which relates to Christian Education:

God’s Design for Education

Many different proposals have been made about how to build schools and universities that are distinctively Christian. The best of those proposals are the ones that recognize that the Christian worldview not only motivates us to teach and learn, but also shapes the way we teach and learn. A truly Christian education is one which is holistic; in other words, it shapes, in one way or another, every academic discipline, every professor, and every student.

It’s good to see that even in the regions of WA, people who have believed in that vision have worked to make Geraldton Christian College what it is today … and that many across the globe share that vision.

Geraldton Christian College

Power of prayer

The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with. James 5:16 (MSG)

The world witnessed the power of prayer this week when a four-year-old girl who was missing for 19 days in WA’s Gascoyne was found safe and well by authorities.

The girl’s disappearance prompted a wave of prayer across the nation and beyond.

At Geraldton Christian College, we believe in the power of prayer.

Parents are invited to join a small group every Monday to uphold the College in prayer. The group meets from 8.45am to 9.15am. Register at administration office, then proceed to the Primary lunch tables or staff room (depending on weather), and look for Kelly Harrington, Prayer Coordinator and Wholistic Land Management Coordinator.

INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC

Enrol now for 2022 program

By Kate Wheat
Instrumental Music Program Coordinator

A reminder that students who are currently enrolled in the program will be automatically rolled over into next year’s program. If you would like to withdraw, please email me at instrumentalmusic@gcc.wa.edu.au before the end of term to avoid fees begin charged to your account.

New students interested in joining the IMP in 2022 are asked to please email me at instrumentalmusic@gcc.wa.edu.au before the end of term to enquire or organise an enrolment form.

JOB VACANCIES

Casual cleaners

The College is in need of staff who can fill in, as required, when regular staff are not available. Training is provided before being placed on the relief contact list.

Relief cleaners need to be available between the hours of 3.00pm and 6.00pm on school days (Monday to Friday), and due to COVID-19 there may also be hours available during school hours.

Please apply online.

For any queries about employment at the College, please call 08 9938 9100 or email personnel@gcc.wa.edu.au.

Wanted to rent: caravan

Geraldton Christian College Library Manager Denise du Boulay would like to rent a caravan over the Christmas break to use as an extra bedroom.

Mrs du Boulay says she is happy to pay to rent the caravan and that it will be well looked after.
Needed from 23 December to 2 January.

Please contact Mrs du Boulay at the library or by emailing denise.duboulay@gcc.wa.edu.au.

COMING UP

19 November: WACE Exams
17-19 November: Yr 11 Future Pathways Camp, Perth
20 November: Yr 12 Ball (ticketed event) – Arrivals 6.30pm (everyone welcome to come and watch), Ball 7.00-11.00pm
23 November: Primary Assembly (Pre-Primary). 2.06pm to 3.00pm
24 November: Yr 6 Celebration
24 to 26 November: Yr 8 Service Week
25 November: Secondary Assembly. 2.06pm to 3.00pm
29 November to 3 December: Yr 10 Sport and Rec Rottnest Camp
29 November to 2 December: Yr 9 Aspire UWA Uni Immersion Camp
2 December: LAST DAY Kindy students
2 December: Early Learning Years Presentation (K to Yr 2). 9.00am to 10.30am (RSVPs essential, limit of 2 guests per student)
3 Dec: Yr 1 and 2 Movie Night. 5.45pm to 7.30pm
6 December: Primary Presentation (Yr 3 to 6). 6.00pm to 8.00pm (RSVPs essential, limit of 2 guests per student)
7 December: Secondary Presentation (Yr 7 to 11). 6.00pm to 8.00pm (RSVPs essential, limit of 2 guests per student)
7 December: Crazy Olympics (PP to Yr 6)
8 December: LAST DAY OF TERM (PP to Yr 10)

For more details, visit the Parent Calendar.

NOTICEBOARD

SCRIPTURE UNION HOLIDAY CAMPS

Scripture Union have some great camps available during the holidays. More information on their website: https://www.suwa.org.au/camping/holiday/

STUDENT EMPLOYMENT

KFC now hiring. https://careers.kfc.com.au/?utm_medium=email&_hsmi=183311846&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8rUJn2FQgNkWuNP3LRNDQumYQvrx0zQaBMR20FmxaK-aDrGTAgg-2UvnWI67D-k4WlJeOMe8KcLAznyb4r_kLt8awswg&utm_content=183311846&utm_source=hs_email