Week 9 Term 1 2021

Posted by Gavin Box

Easter reflection

Well it’s the end of a very busy term.  Principal Gavin Hirschhausen is taking a period of extended leave – we hope that he will have a wonderful break, and come back refreshed in the middle of Term 2.

As we prepare for Good Friday, then Easter Sunday, we reflect on our own sinfulness, remember our mortality and give thanks for the gift of salvation that we have received through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. 

I pray that you will have special family time together over these school holidays.  Please stay safe if you are travelling. 

We look forward to seeing all our students back for Term 2 which commences on Monday 19 April.

Mrs Sophia de Lange
Acting Principal

Geraldton Christian College
“Mrs Colourful” at work: Education Assistant Kerry Horobin with students. Picture: Gavin Box, Geraldton Christian College
TAFE AWARDS

Colourful Kerry: Outstanding work!

Congratulations to Geraldton Christian College Education Assistant Kerry Horobin, pictured, who was a winner at the recent Central Regional TAFE Geraldton awards night.

Kerry, affectionately known by students as “Mrs Colourful”, has a Certificate III in Education Support and was presented with an Outstanding Achievement Award.

Well done, Kerry! We love our Education Assistants and are grateful for the invaluable support role they play.

All Education Assistants employed at Geraldton Christian College are required to have a Certificate III in Education Support.

Geraldton Christian College
Seated from left: Principal Gavin Hirschhausen, Primary Teacher Carmen Blay, Primary Teacher Bronwyn White and Deputy Principal Curriculum Sophia de Lange. Standing, from left: Board members Dr Khim Harris (Secretary), Andrew Beard (Chairman) and Shaun Krause. Picture: Gavin Box, Geraldton Christian College
MASTER CLASS

Awesome foursome

Congratulations to the following members of staff who have completed units of study with the National Institute of Christian Education:

• Carmen Blay and Bronwyn White, who are studying a Masters Degree in Christian Education.
  • Deputy Principal Curriculum Sophia de Lange and Principal Gavin Hirschhausen, who are studying a Masters Degree in Christian Education Leadership.

The College encourages staff to pursue studies with the institute, as part of our mission to education children according to a Christian worldview.

Geraldton Christian College
Newspaper visit. Picture: Gavin Box, Geraldton Christian College
STOP PRESS!

Making news: Years 2 and 3

Students from Carmen Blay’s Year 3 class and Sindy Boonzaier’s Year 2 class were interviewed by The Geraldton Guardian this week, as part of an Easter news report.

Students Chad, Abigail, James, Autumn, Bradley, Tiffany, Sarah, Georgia, Alexis, Arno and Jordan were asked their thoughts on Easter.

Overwhelmingly, the students said the season was about remembering how Jesus’ death on the cross paid the price for our sins.

Well done, everyone! Thanks Lisa Favazzo for visiting our school.

Geraldton Christian College
Geraldton Christian College
Geraldton Christian College

CHALK TALK

In the final instalment in our current series on new Geraldton Christian College teaching staff, we meet ANN WESTERINK and VASILIOS MANAVAS.

Geraldton Christian College
Ann Westerink. Picture: Gavin Box, Geraldton Christian College

Ann Westerink: Live to bring Him glory

What is your teaching position at Geraldton Christian College? Pre-Primary Teacher
Where did you obtain your teaching qualification? Tyndale University, Toronto, Canada, in 1996. Bachelor of Religious Education (Major Christian Education). I am also currently doing a Diploma in Early Years, which I will finish in 2022.
When did you start teaching at Geraldton Christian College? January 2021
For those who don’t know you, tell us a bit about yourself. How would you describe yourself, etc? I am a wife, mother, daughter, niece, sister, granddaughter, friend and teacher. But most of all I am a child of God! I try to be kind, thoughtful, easy-going, hard working and caring. I love my family and friends, including my fur kids. I love being creative and strive to do the best I can.
What is your background and what did you do before you came to Geraldton Christian College? I have experience teaching in Canada, Thailand, South Korea and NSW. I recently moved from the Pilbara where I spent eight and a half years at a Remote Community School.
Where were you born and where have you lived before coming to Geraldton (assuming you weren’t born and raised here)? I was born in Toronto, Canada. I’ve lived in Canada, Thailand, South Korea and in Australia (Sydney, Kalgoorlie and Port Hedland).
In a nutshell, what has been your journey of faith? Have you always been a Christian? If not, how did this come about? My Christian journey began when I was 13 years old. I heard and accepted Christ at a Winter Youth Retreat. I was baptised three weeks later and have tried to live a life for Christ ever since.
What would be the key life-shaping lesson you have learned about God/Christian discipleship, etc, that you would like to impart to young people? “If I could teach my students one thing, it would be …” We are all special and God has made us who we are for a reason. We need to embrace what makes us different, love what we cannot change and use our hearts and talents to the glory of God. And to PRAY!
Greatest joy of your life? The day I got married and adopted my daughter tie for the top spot.
Toughest time of your life and how God helped you through it? This COVID thing has thrown some hard and fast balls. God has constantly reminded me He is in control of everything and that He has my back … even when I’m in the depths of despair!
Recreation/hobbies/interests. “When I am not teaching, the things I love most to do are…”: Shopping, baking, doing some kind of planning for a gathering and travelling.
A little-known thing about you. “People may be surprised to discover that I…”: Have been on a Korean English game show, I once won a $10,000 teaching award and I met my husband online before it was cool!
Anything else you would like to add: I consider it an absolute privilege to be able to teach here at Geraldton Christian College, and I am so grateful for God’s direction here.

Geraldton Christian College
Vasilios Manavas. Picture: Gavin Box, Geraldton Christian College

Vasilios Manavas: The art of discernment

What is your teaching position at Geraldton Christian College? Secondary Teacher: Year 12 ATAR English; Year 9 HASS; Year 9 Biblical Life and Worldview; and Year 8 English.
Where did you obtain your teaching qualification? Graduate Diploma of Education (Secondary), Australian Catholic University, East Melbourne, 2011. I also have a Bachelor Theology and Diploma of Clinical Pastoral Care from the Sydney College of Divinity and St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College, Sydney, 2008; and a Bachelor of Arts (Arabic) and Commerce from Deakin and Damascus Universities, Burwood, and Damascus (Syria), 2004.
When did you start teaching at Geraldton Christian College? February 2021
For those who don’t know you, tell us a bit about yourself. How would you describe yourself, etc? I am a crazy Greek from Melbourne! I was born in Melbourne and before teaching I worked in both the corporate sector and in social welfare/chaplaincy (in prisons and nursing homes in Sydney and Melbourne).
In a nutshell, what has been your journey of faith? Have you always been a Christian? If not, how did this come about? I was born into a Christian family, but became a hard core atheist – militant even. But then I started to ask questions about why my forefathers had held so strongly to Christianity in the face of pressure to deny Christ and convert to Islam. Questions such as: why is Christianity so important? What is the significance of Christ? And what does it mean to be a Christian? I can’t pinpoint one particular thing. It was a journey. But going to the Middle East was formative, going to the physical places of the Bible made the Bible come to life, as was discovering my cultural and religious roots.
A little-known thing about you. “People may be surprised to discover that I…”: Am fluent in four languages (Greek, Italian, Arabic and English) and have a rough knowledge of Turkish and Chinese.
Wow! That is impressive. It must be handy when it comes to reading the New Testament (originally written in Greek). Considering your knowledge of the language, are there any verses in the New Testament where nuances can get lost in English translations? There are many. One that springs to mind is the prologue to the gospel of John, where it reads: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God”. In the Greek, it is a past continuous tense that is better translated: “In the beginning was and is the Word; the Word was and is with God and the Word was and is God”. Jesus hasn’t stopped sustaining life. He is still living among us and is still present in the world. Another is in the Lord’s prayer (Matthew 6:10) “your will be done”, where the Greek conveys the idea “for we are born to do your will”. Doing God’s will is something that should come naturally to us.
What would be the key life-shaping lesson you have learned about God/Christian discipleship, etc, that you would like to impart to young people? “If I could teach my students one thing, it would be …” To read and to first and foremost read the Scriptures. To learn to meditate on the Scriptures, for they are like a filter that helps us to discern what is useful and what is not useful. Having said that, I am not saying we should be against “secular” books, because all truth is God’s truth. We are living in a post-literate society, so it is all the more important to nurture your Biblical literacy. It is a skill that enables us to discern information we receive. It develops our cognitive ability and fosters our growth emotionally, spiritually and physically.
Recreation/hobbies/interests. “When I am not teaching, the things I love most to do are…”: spending time in the garden. I also have an interest in learning about the study of medicine, science and architecture.

Geraldton Christian College
St John First Aid demonstration. Picture: Geraldton Christian College
INSIDE CLASS

Good medicine

Sindy Boonzaier’s Year 2 class enjoyed some first aid training recently when St John’s trainer Fiona Galvin paid the school a visit.

Sindy said students enjoyed Fiona’s presentation very much, as she had a lovely way of explaining how to administer first aid.

Geraldton Christian College

HOSPITALITY GIFT

Second high tea

More of our staff were treated to a high tea at Central Regional TAFE recently.

Executive Assistant to the Principal, Mrs Fiona Davidson, along with Deputy Principal Student Welfare Hayden Scally and his wife Rebecca, were served by TAFE Hospitality students, including Harmony, from Geraldton Christian College.

As well as offering ATAR pathways for our senior students, we also provide a number of VET career pathways, like hospitality.

Nice work, Harmony!

Geraldton Christian College
One of our students, Harmony, serves Fiona Davidson, Hayden Scally and Rebecca Scally during a High Tea hosted by the Hospitality Department at Central Regional TAFE Geraldton.

COMING SOON

Alpha: Exploring the Christian faith

You’re invited! Taking part in an Alpha course is a relaxed way to explore the Christian faith with others, over dessert and coffee. Sessions focus on questions of life, faith and meaning, with opportunities to connect, watch a talk on video, and share any thoughts or questions you have.

START DATE: Wednesday 28 April 2021. Meeting every Wednesday for Term 2. TIME: 6.15pm. 

LOCATION: Edland Community Library, Geraldton Christian College, 15 Cedar Crescent, Strathalbyn. 

CONTACT: Kelly Harrington 0448 837 214, Bron White 0430 183 914 or Shaun Krause 0499 165 685. There is no cost and no pressure.

JOB OPPORTUNITIES

Kingdom values

Would you like to work for an organisation that places high importance on Kingdom values? Our mission is: in partnership with parents, to make known the Lordship of Jesus Christ, through excellence in education, to equip students for works of service.

We have several positions available for committed Christians at the College:

Year 5 Teacher (Maternity Cover, mid Term 2 to end of Term 4 2021)

Primary Music Teacher (0.523 FTE) – teaching Years 1 to 6.

Applications for these teaching positions close on 15 April.

Relief Teachers – Early Learning Years (K/PP), Primary (Year 1-6) and/or Secondary (Years 7-12). The ability to be able to teach a variety of different year levels would be highly regarded, but we would love to hear from any Teachers who are available for relief – any time! Email personnel@gcc.wa.edu.au.

Applications should be made online for positions: https://gcc.wa.edu.au/about/available-positions/

NOTICEBOARD

Holiday office hours

The College Office will be closed during the first week of the school holidays, reopening on Monday 19 April.  Opening Hours from 12 April to 16 April will be 9.00am to 3.30pm.

Please email admin@gcc.wa.edu.au with any urgent issues.  Staff will monitor this email address while the office is closed.

Term 2 bus services

Buses will all be running on the first day of Term 2, Monday 19 April.

Coming up

21 APRIL: Year 12 information session for parents/guardians. 6.30pm to 7.30pm in the College staffroom.

26 APRIL: PUBLIC HOLIDAY. ANZAC Day.

28 to 30 APRIL: Year 11/12 Biology Camp to Perth.

2 to 4 MAY: Year 11/12 General ODE. Coral Bay Expedition.