Week 7 Term 1 2021

Posted by Gavin Box
PRAISE POINTS

Sustaining mercy

One of our new College families experienced the power of prayer as their newborn underwent delicate surgery. In mum’s words:

To the Geraldton Christian College community,

We would love to thank everyone so much for joining us in prayer for our new little bub. He’s had a difficult start since birth on 24 February and many issues since.

On Saturday 6 March we were flown to Perth Children’s Hospital via RFDS and then at 9am the next day he had heart surgery. On the plane down he had a suspected seizure.

We thank our mighty God for his mercy, providing just what our little one needed at just the right time

COLLEGE MUM

There have been many many tests and procedures, as well as the surgery, but incredibly he was discharged on Sunday 14 March!

We’ll keep monitoring milestones and have regular heart check-ups forever, but we can bring him ‘home’ after nine days at St John of God Hospital in Geraldton, one day at home and almost nine days at Perth Children’s Hospital.

We thank our mighty God for his mercy in providing just what our little one needed at just the right time and for sustaining our little family.

We are a new family to the College this year and we are just so thankful to the school community for your prayers and support. Thank you!

With love,
Name withheld
Lamentations 3:22-23
Psalm 46

Servant leadership

One of our College parents, Eugenie Harris, contacted us recently to express her gratitude for the school leadership and staff during a difficult period for the College community. “I praise and thank God for our leadership team and staff,” she said. Thanks Eugenie!

Geraldton Christian College
Kelly Harrington and students watch the ducks in the Kindy billabong. Pictures: Nateeka White and Brenda Pattenden

Quality time

One of our new Primary families were “blown away” by the work of Wholistic Land Management Coordinator Kelly Harrington, pictured above, and how the College is incorporating lessons from farm life to teach the children about God’s creation. “It’s just amazing that she would take time out in her day to come to the classroom and teach the kids. Our son can’t stop talking about it.” See more about Kelly’s work in the story in this edition from Kindergarten teacher Brenda Pattenden.

COMING SOON

Alpha: Exploring Christianity

You’re invited! Taking part in an Alpha course is a relaxed way to explore the Christian faith with others, over dessert and coffee. Sessions focus on questions of life, faith and meaning, with opportunities to connect, watch a talk on video, and share any thoughts or questions you have.

START DATE: Wednesday 28 April 2021. Meeting every Wednesday for Term 2. TIME: 6.15pm. LOCATION: Edland Community Library, Geraldton Christian College, 15 Cedar Crescent, Strathalbyn. 

CONTACT: Kelly Harrington 0448 837 214, Bron White 0430 183 914 or Shaun Krause 0499 165 685. There is no cost and no pressure.

Positions Available

The College has advertised the following positions this week:

Materials Design Technology Teacher (1.0 FTE)

Library Officer (permanent part-time, hours negotiable during school terms)

Administration Officer (0.962 FTE)

Relief Teachers

We are desperately in need of more relief teaching staff. If you know of any Christian teachers who might be looking for relief work, please ask them to get in touch with the College.

Details about the advertised positions can be found here.

Applications close on Thursday 1 April 2021.

Geraldton Christian College reserves the right to close applications earlier.

KAPTURE PHOTOS – NEXT WEEK!

A reminder that Kapture Photos will be here next week for our school photo days – TUESDAY 23 and WEDNESDAY 24 MARCH. The Photo Schedule has been emailed home, and parents who booked sibling photos will receive an email with details for when sibling photos will be taken (sibling bookings are now closed).

Students should wear their sports uniform next week for school photos.  Please ensure children wear short length navy or black socks with their sports shoes.

The Uniform Policy will apply with long hair to be tied back neatly, and correct jewellery to be worn (as per policy).

NOTE:  Student Councillors and House Captains will have their group photos first thing on Tuesday morning at school (8.45am).

Photo ordering information has also been emailed home. Please contact Mrs Fiona Davidson, Executive Assistant to Principal, if you have any queries – fiona.davidson@gcc.wa.edu.au.

CHALK TALK

In a continuing series on new Geraldton Christian College teaching staff, we meet JAN VOLSCHENK and HAYLEY FABIAN.

Geraldton Christian College
Jan Volschenk and his wife Zoli. Picture: Gavin Box, Geraldton Christian College

Jan Volschenk: The power of prayer

What is your teaching position at Geraldton Christian College? Year 5 classroom teacher.
Where did you obtain your teaching qualification? Bachelor’s degree in Sport Science, University of Pretoria in South Africa, 2004–2006. Graduate Diploma of Education, University of Queensland, 2013.
When did you start teaching at Geraldton Christian College? January 2021.
For those who don’t know you, tell us a bit about yourself. How would you describe yourself? I have an amazing family. I have a beautiful wife and four lovely daughters. I love all sport and I’m always looking for a challenge. I used to box and had a couple of exhibition fights. We’ve seen some amazing parts of Australia and we love travelling, but we are ready to call Geraldton home.
What is your background and what did you do before you came to Geraldton Christian College? After I completed my Bachelor’s Degree in Sport Science I went to England for a year to drive tractors on farms. I came to Australia and did personal training until I went to university to complete my Graduate Diploma in Education. I worked at a Christian school very similar to Geraldton Christian College and absolutely loved it. I had amazing colleagues and leaders. We decided to move to the Northern Territory and ended up staying for three years. We felt God’s calling to pack everything up and move to Geraldton.
Where were you born and where have you lived before coming to Geraldton (assuming you weren’t born and raised here)? I was born in South Africa. I’ve lived in England, Brisbane, Gippsland (Victoria), Tennant Creek, Canteen Creek, Alice Springs and finally Geraldton.
In a nutshell, what has been your journey of faith? Have you always been a Christian? If not, how did this come about (briefly)? I was born into a Christian home and always went to church. I was baptised in Brisbane in 2010, when I gave my heart to the Lord again and fully committed my life to God.
What would be the key life-shaping lesson you have learned about God/Christian discipleship, etc, that you would like to impart to young people? “If I could teach students one thing, it would be …”: My youngest daughter fell into a swimming and nearly drowned. She was in an Intensive Care Unit for two days. We prayed endlessly throughout the whole incident. So, if I could teach students one thing, it would be to believe in the power of prayer!
Greatest joy of your life? My wife and four daughters.
What do you like to do for recreation/hobbies/interests? “When I am not teaching, the things I love most to do are…”: When I am not teaching, the things I love most to do are playing sport or exercising.
A little known thing about you? “People may be surprised to discover that I…”: Used to box and went to Greece to represent South Africa in kick boxing.

Geraldton Christian College
Hayley Fabian. Picture: Gavin Box, Geraldton Christian College

Hayley Fabian: It’s in the pressing we grow

What is your teaching position at Geraldton Christian College? Year 7 Year Group Coordinator and Biblical Life & Worldview teacher, Year 7-9 Food and Textiles teacher.
Where did you obtain your teaching qualification? Curtin University here in Geraldton.
When did you start teaching at Geraldton Christian College? I taught Year 6 last year a day a week for Mrs Brits in Term 2, 2020, and did relief teaching across all year levels until the end of 2020.
For those who don’t know you, tell us a bit about yourself. How would you describe yourself? I have been married for 16 years! I have four children who as of this year are all full-time Geraldton Christian College students and they all keep me on my toes. I would describe myself as an excitable person. I manage to enjoy the simplest things with great joy. I ponder a lot about the future and my dreams. This could also be known as procrastinating! I love to laugh and I love speaking with people about God.
What is your background and what did you do before you came to Geraldton Christian College? I was (and still am) mothering four children. I serve at my church and help my husband with his business from time to time.
Where were you born and where have you lived before coming to Geraldton (assuming you weren’t born and raised here)? I was born and raised in Whyalla, South Australia, a town where the tide goes out 800m from the shore and blue crabs reside and love to give the toes a nip. I was thankful for the shores of Geraldton when we moved here in 2007.
In a nutshell, what has been your journey of faith? Have you always been a Christian? If not, how did this come about? I was raised in a Christian home. My grandparents were pastors and so I gave my life to the Lord during every holiday visit ha! I only had one Christian friend growing up, so when I went to my first Planet Shakers conference in Year 10 and saw thousands of youth worshipping, I was encouraged to see I was not alone and this helped me consolidate my faith for my own life. My faith has increased over the years as I have walked through trials, big and small, and have come to realise it’s in the pressing that I grow.
What would be the key life-shaping lesson you have learned about God/Christian discipleship, etc, that you would like to impart to young people? “If I could teach students one thing, it would be …”: That peace is not a fluffy cloud word; it’s a very powerful gift from God that can get you through the hardest of times. It will keep you focused and help you learn in every situation. God can give it to you in an instant. Just ask.
Greatest joy of your life? My family
What do you like to do for recreation/hobbies/interests? “When I am not teaching, the things I love most to do are…”: Going to the beach, having adventures with my family and watching a good movie.
A little known thing about you? “People may be surprised to discover that I…”: love renovating. I demolished my bathroom on my own. A little too impromptu, as we left it gutted for two years!

INSIDE CLASS

Teachers invite us into their classrooms to see what students are learning.

Geraldton Christian College
Students watch the ducks in the Kindy billabong. Picture: Geraldton Christian College
Geraldton Christian College
Students watch the ducks in the Kindy billabong. Pictures: Nateeka White and Brenda Pattenden
Geraldton Christian College

Amazing creation

Kindergarten Teacher Brenda Pattenden shares how children are learning about the marvels of God’s world and how we can all care for creation in the smallest of ways:

The Kindy children are thoroughly enjoying looking after the needs of their class pet budgies “Peruche and Tietsa”. The children help me to change the water and food, as well as clean out the cages. In addition, the children are also observing tadpoles in the classroom and learning first-hand about the frog’s life cycle.

I have one gorgeous little boy in particular who eagerly comes in every day and continues to check throughout the day to see if the tadpoles are “growing legs yet”.

The children eagerly look forward to visits from the College’s Wholistic Land Management Coordinator Kelly Harrington. She has shown the children how to make compost. Kindy and Pre-Primary students now have their very own compost garden in our playground. Their recess and lunch food scraps are put to good use and are not simply thrown away.

Kelly has also shown Kindy children the worm farm. We now cut up some of our food scraps in order to feed our worms and make worm juice that feeds plants and vegetables in the Kindy garden!

We have harvested huge zucchini and watermelons in our Kindy garden and have used these in cooking activities. We made zucchini slices with our own carrots and huge zucchini. We have also eaten delicious watermelons!

We’ve also visited the new “kid on the block”, baby goat Roger, and had a “pat” of the chickens. Finally, we made the new little ducklings very happy when they came to meet us and have a swim in the Kindy Billabong!

The Kindy children are learning about how God made our beautiful world and are experiencing first-hand how truly wonderful nature really is! They are beginning to understand that, even at their young age, they too can make a positive impact and difference to the world God has made for us to live in!

Geraldton Christian College

Little mover

Speaking of creation, Pre-Primary teacher Ann Westerink shared this little story about lessons from the inchworm. Amazing that such a small creature can show us the amazing creativity of God! “The children have been learning about things that move, Phoebe was fascinated with this little inchworm and its movements. We happened to find it on her shirt!” Mrs Westerink said.

Geraldton Christian College
Year 6 students enjoy some cooking. Picture: Jared Grimsley, Geraldton Christian College
Geraldton Christian College
Geraldton Christian College
Geraldton Christian College

Bread of life

Year 6 teacher Jared Grimsley shares a delicious story here:

Students have been learning about the different types of bread around the world; the grains used to make baked goods and why these grains are used; and the methods used to produce bread, from traditional homemade ways to modern, industrialised methods that rely on technology. As part of these studies, students designed and created artisan bread rolls that were wholegrain and flavoured in their own unique way.

Geraldton Christian College
Courtney serves customers at the High Tea. Picture: Sophia de Lange, Geraldton Christian College
Geraldton Christian College
Susan serves customers at the High Tea. Picture: Sophia de Lange, Geraldton Christian College
Geraldton Christian College
Harmony serves customers at the High Tea. Picture: Sophia de Lange, Geraldton Christian College
Geraldton Christian College
Kiki serves customers at the High Tea. Picture: Sophia de Lange, Geraldton Christian College
Geraldton Christian College
Tasty creations at the High Tea. Picture: Sophia de Lange, Geraldton Christian College

Hospitality gift

Deputy Principal Curriculum Sophia de Lange had the wonderful privilege to attend a High Tea at Central Regional TAFE this week, where our students were among those serving.  “Four of our Year 11 students are enrolled in the Hospitality course,” she said.  “I have been inspired and impressed with their servant hearts.  The students performed their duties with confidence and flair.  Their conduct during the morning was friendly yet professional.  We are very proud of Susan, Courtney, Kiki and Harmony.”

Nurture headlines

“In His hands”, a personal story of parenting encouragement written by Deputy Principal Sophia de Lange, is the cover story in the March edition of Nurture magazine, published by Christian Education National. Copies of the magazine went home to College families this week. Check it out!

SPORTS SCENE

Tremendous grit

They may not have figured strongly in the medals, but Geraldton Christian College swimmers at the Associated and Catholic Colleges carnival made Secondary Sports Coordinator Andre Steenekamp feel proud. In his words:

Well done to the first official Geraldton Christian Swim Team that competed in Perth at the Associated and Catholic Colleges swimming carnival. It was an enjoyable camp with a LazerBlaze team building activity on arrival and then spending the night in the hotel overlooking the Swan River, waking up to a decent cooked breakfast to set us up for a busy day.

Although we do not have as many club swimmers like the bigger schools to rake up the points, we do have a team that gave it their very best, all the way to the last race. The students showed some tremendous grit with a healthy competitive spirit.

Special thanks to the Phys Ed staff and Mrs Beaver (AKA Swim Coach) for volunteering their time on Wednesday afternoons to prepare our swimmers for the carnival.

I would also like to thank our senior students for displaying strong leadership qualities and for taking the younger students under their care. A true display of a healthy community.

Individual results:
Congratulations to Jack Cowan who came 2nd in the U/14 boys and Reuben James-Wallace who came 4th in the U/13 boys.

Team Results: Junior Boys 4th; Junior Girls 5th; Senior Boys 7th; Senior Girls 6th. Overall: 6th.

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4:7.

Joshua conquers

Results from the Geraldton Christian College Primary Swimming Carnival, courtesy of Primary Physical Education Coordinator Johan Boonzaier.

Overall House Winners: Joshua.

Year 3 Girls: 1. Layla Ellis-Smith, 2. Hannah Gray, 3. Georgia Schramm.

Year 3 Boys: 1. Carter Boekeman, 2. Iziayah Hodder, 3. Arno Marx.

Year 4 Girls: 1. Sapherra Corbett, 2. Laura Hargreaves, 3. Addison Phillips.

Year 4 Boys: 1. Lawson Harvey, 2. Henry Fabian, 3. Brax Root.

Year 5 Girls: 1. Harriet James-Wallace, 2. Leah-May Labuschagne, 3. Stella Boekeman.

Year 5 Boys: 1. Nate Richards, 2. Hamish Ellis-Smith, 3. Luke Lumsden.

Year 6 Girls: 1. Emmy Cowan, 2. Cassie Richards, 3. Sahba Horstman.

Year 6 Boys: 1. Diara Itevete, 2. Soren Williamson, 3. Reuben Boonzaier & Kian Smit (Shared 3rd place).

Geraldton Christian College
Picture: Narelle Beaver
THAT’S UNIFORMITY

Fashion coordination

Some staff were wondering if black was the new uniform when Miriam Wheatley, Ann Westerink, Martlie Fourie, Letitia Marx and Shelley Cox turned up for work recently.

They say black never goes out of fashion.

The ladies assure us there was no wardrobe committee meeting beforehand!

REDEEMING LOVE

Servant songs

The College was blessed to host Christian singer-songwriter Levi McGrath last week, who returned by popular demand to perform at the annual College Welcome Feast. While here, he also performed at Secondary and Primary assemblies.

In between sets, he shared personal stories of life growing up as a pastor’s son in country Victoria, serving overseas with World Vision and family life in Kununurra, WA.

We particularly loved the story from his six months spent with World Vision in Uganda, where a former child soldier, abducted and forced to fight against his will, was liberated and reunited with his grandmother. A great picture of the Father’s redeeming love.

We’re grateful for Levi’s servant heart.

NOTICEBOARD

Scholarships available

Year 12 students interested in Christian leadership and thinking of studying at Notre Dame University are invited to apply for a scholarship. More details at: http://www.ichthys.org.au/wp/christian-leaders-scholarship

Applications for the 2021 Indigenous Australian Engineering School at Curtin University (11-17 July), for students in Years 9 to 12, are also open. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students interested in engineering, tech and how things work are invited to apply. More details at: https://curtin.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_023WBminCABtbF4