Week 3 Term 1

Posted by Gavin Box

GRANDPARENT JOY

‘These are happy tears!’

We love this story from mum Jenny, whose family joined the College in early 2020. Jenny tells us her children came to the College after a not-so-happy time in the public school system. A few weeks after their arrival, Jenny and her mother-in-law Heather attended a Pre-Primary Assembly, where the children received a certificate. Heather was so taken by the atmosphere of Christian love at the assembly, the kind words and prayers spoken, that she started to cry. Jenny recalls: “I asked her if she was OK and she said: ‘These are happy tears. I’m just so happy for my grandkids. This is an amazing school’.” Jenny says she has noticed a “huge” change with her children since arriving at the College. “They love school,” she says. “They’ve never been happier. There is never a day when they say ‘I don’t want to go to school today’.”

RESTORATIVE JUSTICE

‘Beautiful to see your work’

Keith Roffman is loved around the College for his joyful and easygoing approach to life, but even “Roffo” was a bit apprehensive when a parent recently told him she needed to talk to him. “I need to tell you what the kids are saying about you,” she said.
He needn’t have worried. “Keith, I just want to say it’s beautiful to see your work in restorative justice with the kids — getting alongside them and gently encouraging them to get on track,” she said. Well done, Roffo. Keep up the good work!

News tip? Tell us your story

We love to hear good news like the story Jenny shared above. It you have a story about the College you would like to share, please contact Communications Officer Gavin Box by calling 9938 9110 or emailing gavin.box@gcc.wa.edu.au

CHALK TALK

In the first in a series of profiles on new Geraldton Christian College teaching staff, we meet DEREK GOFORTH and ANEKE SMIT.

Geraldton Christian College
Secondary Teacher Derek Goforth. Picture: Gavin Box, Geraldton Christian College

Derek Goforth: ‘No matter what, keep moving forward’

What is your teaching position at Geraldton Christian College?
Secondary: Mathematics and Food Technology.

Where did you study teaching? Leeds University.

When did you join the teaching staff at Geraldton Christian College?
1 January 2021.

For those who don’t know you, tell us a bit about yourself. How would you describe yourself? A Pom in Oz. Love the outdoor life. Love the beach on a cool evening. Enjoy a good Netflix session or a long bike ride.

What is your background and what did you do before you came to Geraldton Christian College? Twenty years of teaching in a few different schools. Most recently eight years at Champion Bay Senior High School.

Where were you born and where have you lived before coming to Geraldton (assuming you weren’t born and raised here)? Born in Hull in the UK. Lived all over the world. Leeds, Southampton, Perth, Poland, Egypt, Belfast, to name a few places.

In a nutshell, what has been your journey of faith? Became a Christian though a dramatic process when I was in my late teens. Unchurched before then.

What would be the key life-shaping lesson you have learned about God/Christian discipleship, etc, that you would like to impart to young people. “If I could teach students one thing, it would be …”:
Fail, fail again, fail better, fail upwards. No matter what, keep moving forward.

Greatest joy of your life? My family.

Toughest time of your life and how God helped you through it? Coming to terms with the reality that being 200kg in my 50s was not a life I was chosen to lead.

Recreation/hobbies/interests. “When I am not teaching, the things I love most to do are…”: Boxing, lifting weights and cycling.

A little known thing about you. “People may be surprised to discover that I…”: Once handed a bottle of water to Johnny Cash.

Geraldton Christian College
Secondary Teacher Aneke Smit. Picture; Gavin Box, Geraldton Christian College

Aneke Smit: ‘Everything that is good is in God’s time’

What’s your teaching position at Geraldton Christian College?
Secondary: English Year 7, 9, 11 General and Year 8 Biblical Life & Worldview.

Where did you study teaching? University of Pretoria, South Africa.

I started doing relief in 2019 and started teaching full-time in 2021.

For those who don’t know you, tell us a bit about yourself. How would you describe yourself? I’m a very loud person with a weird sense of humour and a big kind heart.

What is your background and what did you do before you came to Geraldton Christian College? I did relief teaching at five different schools in Geraldton. I loved getting to know so many students around town.

Where were you born and where have you lived before coming to Geraldton (assuming you weren’t born and raised here)? I was born in South Africa. We immigrated to Australia in 2017, lived in Bunbury for a year, where I stayed at home with my one-year-old and newborn baby. We moved to Geraldton at the end of 2018.

In a nutshell, what has been your journey of faith? I was raised by loving Christian parents, so it is all I have known my whole life.

That everything that is good, is in God’s time, never in your time.

Greatest joy of your life? My four children.

Toughest time of your life and how God helped you through it? When I had to leave my parents, brother and grandparents behind when we immigrated.

Recreation/hobbies/interests? “When I am not teaching, the things I love most to do are…”: I love going for a good Crossfit workout. I also spend a lot of time out with my daughter and her horse. I will only occasionally get on the horse myself.

A little known thing about you? “People may be surprised to discover that I…”: Can crotchet and work with men’s tools equally well, haha.

GOAT TALES

Udderly fun!

We had a lot of positive feedback to Kelly Harrington’s story last week about Ben Phillips and the new kid on the block. Following on from that, Student Support Counsellor Zoli Volschenk shares a story this week in similar vein. We are milking this story for all it’s worth! 🙂

In Zoli’s words: We arrived at school earlier than usual to help Mrs Harrington milk Ally the goat. First, we prepared three buckets of breakfast for the goats, which was a mixture of grains and carob seeds. The students helped feed Arlow the dad and Roger the kid, while Mrs Harrington took Ally the mum to the milking stand.

While Ally dug into her feed, Mrs Harrington demonstrated how to milk a goat, then encouraged the students to get hands-on and have a go. This was a great way for them to strengthen their fine motor skills by giving the small muscles in their hands and fingers a workout!

Watching the excitement on their faces was priceless! Afterwards, the students strained the milk through a cloth and finally had a big drink of fresh, warm goat’s milk. Yum!!

• Thanks Zoli! If you have a story you’d like to share, please email Communications Officer Gavin Box at gavin.box@gcc.wa.edu.au
Geraldton Christian College
Kelly Harrington shows Azelia the fine art of milking a goat. Picture: Zoli Volschenk
Geraldton Christian College
Straining the milk. Picture: Zoli Volschenk
Geraldton Christian College
Yum! Liezel puts the goat’s milk to the taste test.

LABOUR OF LOVE

Book illustrator needed

Mrs Renette Ashworth-Preece, who is a relief teacher at the College, has a dream to develop and produce a children’s picture book to raise funds towards better children’s mental health in Australia.  Renette has approached the College to seek help with her book. In Renette’s words:

An artist is required to assist with my picture book, as I am not gifted in this area. It is my heartfelt prayer to find a creative artist who is passionate about drawing, someone who is willing to draw a variety of people, scenes and animals as different characters. However, the artist will receive NO financial payment from creating the illustrations. I am happy for them to keep their drawings after the book is completed, but the book is not being created for monetary gain. ALL PROFITS after the production of the book will be donated to Children’s Mental Health in Australia.

With the College’s approval, the artist can be under the age of 18, but must have full parental or custodial permission, before beginning on this project and be willing to be committed until the final publication of the book. 

The participating artist will incur NO liability or costs for the printing of the book created. Genuine artists who are feel led by God to participate, are willing to draw illustrations; for NO financial gain, and are willing to commit to this project for at least 4 hours per week to are encouraged to contact me on my mobile 0439 943 620  or on my email jashworth-preece@bigpond.com.

I would love if any staff families; or any other families, may also be able to assist me by being willing to be photographed in everyday situations. The photos I take will not be used in the book; but will be only used as a tool to create a template storyboard. This will better equip the illustrator of the book to ensure a smoother completion. 

If your family would be willing to assist with photos, please contact me on the email address provided.  Photos of students can be taken at the College, with parental permission.

Families, individuals or children who are willing to share their stories of how they overcome difficulties in their lives; are also very welcome to share their thoughts with me. Thank you for your prayerful thoughts and consideration. With many grateful thanks, in His service.

Mrs Renette Ashworth-Preece

NOTICEBOARD

Garage sale

The College will hold a Garage Sale on Saturday 20 February, from 7.00am to 11.00am, under the Hangar (Verticordia Drive entrance). A wide range of goods will be for sale, including chairs, desks, shelving, hand tools, computer equipment and music equipment. EFTPOS facilities will be available and a piano will go up for silent auction. Please note, the piano is difficult to tune and may need some repairs. Reserve price of $100 applies. For enquiries, please call the College Business Manager, Geoff Edwards, on 9938 9100 during school hours.

Geraldton Christian College
Garage sale
Geraldton Christian College
Garage sale.
Geraldton Christian College
Garage sale
Geraldton Christian College
Garage sale.
Geraldton Christian College
Garage sale.
Geraldton Christian College
Garage sale.
Geraldton Christian College
Garage sale.
Geraldton Christian College
Garage sale.
Geraldton Christian College
Garage sale.

Employment opportunities

Would you like to work in a school that aims to stand out from the crowd; “to make known the Lordship of Jesus Christ through excellence in education, to equip students for works of service”? Applications are invited for the following positions:

Student Support Counsellor (0.4 FTE – 2 days per week equivalent)

Casual Canteen Assistant (Wed & Friday, with ability to assist at school events with catering which may be outside of usual Canteen hours)

Details for both of these positions are available on the College website:  https://gcc.wa.edu.au/about/available-positions/

Persons wishing to apply should complete the online application form and upload a covering letter addressing selection criteria and a current Resume.

Email personnel@gcc.wa.edu.au to request a copy of Position Descriptions.

Applications for both positions close at 3.00pm on Friday 26 February 2021.

Secondary Assistance

Applications close soon for the WA State Government Secondary Assistance Scheme, for Health Care Card holders who are the parents/guardians of students in Secondary School (Years 7 to 12). Application forms are available from Reception at the College. Please bring Health Care Card for sighting and verification purposes. Applications close April 1, but to allow adequate time for postage, please ensure applications are completed by early March. For inquiries, contact Receptionist Julie Fong or Business Manager Geoff Edwards by calling 9938 9100.

Operoo App for Android users (CareMonkey for new parents)

The Operoo App for android users still appears as the old name of CareMonkey. Operoo advise that they are working to update their app to the new name, but this is taking some time. If you have an android device, please search for the “CareMonkey” app to download.

iOs users please search for and use the Operoo app.

Uniform – Shoes

Students are reminded that they must wear SPORTS SHOES only with sports uniform at the College.  Any Colour is permitted with current uniform guidelines.

When the new GCC uniform is available, students will be asked to wear BLACK sports shoes (but a transition period will apply – most likely 2 years, until the end of 2022).  Please purchase BLACK sports shoes as your children outgrow current shoes (colour should be predominantly black, with small amounts of another colour permitted).

Skate shoes (Vans etc) or Basketball Boots are NOT PERMITTED and students will be issued with infringements for wearing incorrect footwear.

Students with health/medical reasons for wearing items other than outlined above must have approval from Mr Hayden Scally, Deputy Principal Student Welfare.

** NOTE: Uniform is currently in a review period by the Uniform Committee. With rebranding in 2021 new uniform will be introduced. Most students will wear SCC sports uniform in the interim period until new uniform arrives (there is a delay for supply). Girls are permitted to wear skorts with sports shirts, and students may wear black sneakers with formal uniform if they have outgrown their black leather lace up shoes. **

Uniform Shop hours

The Uniform Shop is open in the afternoons onlyfrom 3.00pm to 3.20pm. Student Services is very busy in the mornings, and staff are unable to assist with uniform at this time. 

You are welcome to send an email to uniform@gcc.wa.edu.au with order requests, then collect/pay in the afternoons (please allow at least 24 hours for orders to be processed).

CALENDAR

What’s coming up

Please always check the College Calendar on the website for the most up to date information on events.

Primary Swimming Lessons (Yrs 1-6) – 22/23/25/26 Feb and 2/3/4/5 March

Secondary Assembly – Wed 24/2, 2.06pm – College Hall

PUBLIC HOLIDAY – Mon 1 March, Labour Day

Secondary Swimming Carnival (Yrs 7-12) – Wed 3 March – Geraldton Aquarena

OLNA Writing (Yrs 10-12) – Thurs 4 March (parents of students sitting test are advised by email)

Primary Swimming Carnival (Yrs 3-6) – Tues 9 March – Geraldton Aquarena

WELCOME FEAST – Thursday 11 March – RSVPs essential for catering purposes (see emails from College)

HOMEWORK CLUB – Tues & Wed afternoons in the Library (Yrs 3-12) – 3.20-5.00pm. Email gavin.box@gcc.wa.edu.au to request Operoo eForm to give permission for students to attend.