Mountain Bike Festival in the news

Posted by Gavin Box
Geraldton Christian College
GWN7 visited the College this week to cover our Mountain Bike Festival.

College leads the way in a fast-growing sport

Our Mountain Bike Festival captured the attention of local media, with GWN7 screening a segment on Tuesday night.

The festival, held last weekend, celebrates the College’s commitment to developing students’ skills in one of the world’s fastest growing sports.

Twelve students from the College recently attended a mountain bike specialist skills training camp in Perth.

During Saturday’s festival, students took part in a series of races around the College’s 1.5km mountain bike track, which takes in bushland near the Chapman River and with spectacular views of the Moresby Ranges.

Families took advantage of the occasion to enjoy food, live music (by local Christian band Revenant) and a bonfire into the evening, while the track was lit up with portable lighting for night riding.

Earlier in the day, Primary students took part in bike-a-thon – riding scooters and bicycles around the College grounds to raise funds for a nature playground. The final count of money raised has not yet been completed, with students able to bring fundraising money into the College by Friday 15 October (week 1 of term 4).

Results from Saturday’s mountain bike races:
Secondary Senior Boys: 1. Lochie T, 2. Liam S, 3. Kristian S.
Secondary Junior Boys: 1. Nathan K, 2. Mackinnley O, 3. Lysander F.
Secondary Junior Girls: 1. Nicola S, 2. Janeske L.
Primary Senior Boys: 1. Kian S, 2. Archie Root, 3. Reuben B.
Primary Senior Girls: 1. Addison O, 2. Azelia V.
Primary Junior Boys: 1. Henry F, 2. Lawson H, 3. Seth G.
Primary Junior Girls: 1. Addison P.

Thanks to Year 10 student Harry D and staff members Lindsay Graieg, Jared Grimsley and Gavin Box for sharing their photos from the day.

Geraldton Christian College
Geraldton Christian College
Geraldton Christian College
Geraldton Christian College
Geraldton Christian College

Chloe and Hailie poised for a College first

Two Year 12 Geraldton Christian College students are on the threshold of history for the school, as they are poised to become the first graduates to achieve a full ATAR and a Certificate IV.

Chloe Kietzmann and Hailie Righton have this year completed a Certificate IV in Preparation for Health and Nursing Studies through Central Regional TAFE and will sit their ATAR exams next term.

Both girls have also been recognised for their high standards in their vocational studies, with nominations for the Higher Vocational Studies Student of the Year category at the upcoming 2021 Central Regional TAFE Mid West Gascoyne VETDSS Awards.

VETDSS stands for Vocational Education and Training Delivered to Secondary Students.

College Deputy Principal Curriculum, Mrs Sophia de Lange, congratulated the girls on their nomination and commended them for their strong work ethic.

“The College is extremely proud of their achievement and we wish them all the best in their future career pathways,” she said.

The VETDSS awards will be presented at Central Regional TAFE on Wednesday 27 October.

Geraldton Christian College
Award nominees Chloe Kietzmann, left, and Hailie Righton.

Honesty behind closed doors’: Azelia and Zelme win Geraldton’s praise

Two Primary students from the College have been publicly praised for their honesty after they found a mobile phone which had gone missing in a busy Geraldton hardware store.

Rhonda Pasfield, posting on the Geraldton Noticeboard Facebook page this week, expressed her thanks to the girls and their parents.

“Thank you to the two girls from Geraldton Christian College that handed in my phone to Bunnings staff,” she said.

“Thank you to your family for teaching such good honesty values.”

More than 170 people liked or loved the post.

The Facebook post.

The two girls, sisters Azelia and Zelme V, found the phone in the store bathroom.

Azelia said that earlier that very day she had witnessed someone return her mum’s phone after she had left it at another store in Geraldton.

“I wanted to be kind to the person who had also lost their phone,” she said.

“I didn’t want them to lose money that they had worked for (to buy the phone).”

Azelia’s dad said he had spotted the Facebook post which mentioned the College and did not realise it was his girls.

“I said to my wife when I came home, ‘Did you see this Facebook post?’ and she said it was our girls,” he said.
“I was like ‘What!?’

“I was so proud of them that they would act with integrity and honesty behind closed doors. I gave them both a hug and told them I was really proud of what they had done. It counts for more than an A-grade on a report card.”

Azelia’s mum said after the phone had been returned, the owner found the girls at the store cafe and gave them some money which they used to buy lunch.

“While we sat there, Azelia said with tears in her eyes she felt like God was using that specific situation to show them that if you sow kindness then that is what you will reap.”

Azelia and Zelme.

Geraldton Christian College
College Library Manager Denise du Boulay with one of the library displays.

Book Week: creativity in classrooms and costumes

We were amazed at the creativity on display throughout Book Week, both in classroom projects and the assembly, where students dressed in costume according to book themes.

Students were inspired by works including Marmaduke Duck and the Marmalade Jam, Stuart Little, Imagine, What a Wonderful Name, The Little Prince, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind.

Congratulations to the following Book Week parade winners for each class (no prizes were awarded for Kindy this year):

PRE-PRIMARY: Phoebe P and Isabelle B.
YEAR ONE: Thea P and Selena B.
YEAR TWO: Ethan M and Azarya I.
YEAR THREE: Cadence A and Lexie R.
YEAR FOUR: Henry F and Samuel dK.
YEAR FIVE: Ridge K and Benjamin S.
YEAR FIVE/SIX: Azelia V and Tobias B.
YEAR SIX: Emmy C and Addison O.

The theme for the Children’s Book Council of Australia (CBCA) Book Week this year was Old Worlds, New Worlds and Other Worlds.

Local author Maria Flavel was also a special guest at the College as part of the celebrations.

She read to the students, spoke to them about her writing process and had them take part in a creative writing exercise.

The German-born writer, who has authored a number of books, has had a varied background, having previously served as a Catholic nun, a missionary in Papua New Guinea and a TAFE teacher.

Geraldton Christian College
Pre-Primary Teacher Ann Westerink with some of her students’ work.
Geraldton Christian College
Stuart Little inspired this creation in the Year 1 class.
Geraldton Christian College
More creativity from Year 1.
Geraldton Christian College
Students dressed in costume for the Book Week parade.
Geraldton Christian College
Local author Maria Flavel talks with students at an assembly.

Geraldton Christian College

STAFF PROFILE: Annalise Edwards

What is your teaching position at Geraldton Christian College? Secondary Visual Arts Teacher

When did you start working at the College? January 2020

Where and when did you qualify as a teacher? I graduated ECU and WAAPA in 2013 with a Double Major – Communications and Arts Undergraduate Degree. Graduated ECU again in 2019 with a Post-graduate Diploma of Education.

For those who don’t know you, tell us a bit about yourself. How would you describe yourself? I am always up for a new adventure. Particularly creative adventures – music, dance, visual art, drama, media, historical biographical adventures – these are the subjects my brain is wired to love. I am very much a visual learner – I like tutorial videos to learn a new skill. I am also very grateful for my family. I often joke that I have two of my own kids, but I am an occasional mum of 5 (as I often have my three siblings with me, who I claim to be their third parent!)

What is your background and what did you do before you came to Geraldton Christian College? Before I worked at Geraldton Christian College I attended Strathalbyn Christian College 😉 from 2004 to 2010. I moved to Perth to complete my first university degree from 2011-2013. Started a videography business (creating mainly wedding films) from 2013-2017. Went back to study, while working part-time, 2018-2019.

Where were you born and where were you raised? Born and bred in Geraldton (I joke with my Perth friends to not hold that against me!) and I genuinely consider both Geraldton and Perth home as we lived in Perth for almost 10 years, grew a family there, and have dearly missed church family there.

In a nutshell, what has been your journey of faith? Have you always been a Christian? If not, how did this come about? I grew up in a Christian home, going to church and youth group, and I was taught about the Bible from a young age. I believe that seeds were definitely planted in my heart when I attended this school as a teenager, and as I grew into adulthood they were watered by the church community I became a part of in Perth. After walking a path of my own desires, trying to be self-sufficient and finding life quite confusing and difficult, I believe God called me to make a serious commitment to Him roughly seven years ago and I am so grateful for his merciful, unfailing love.

What would be the key life-shaping lesson you have learned about God/Christian discipleship, etc? People often mistake Christians for “good” people. But I often ask my art students “What is good?”. Good is a subjective term and we need to ask a more specific question sometimes. Now I have a more mature understand of sin, judgement, God’s love and eternity – I see that Christians are broken, sinful people, recognising their need of a Saviour, and wanting to thank God for His unfailing love for all of eternity.

Greatest joy of your life? Jesus – the only solid foundation of joy! But second to that, watching my children grow and journeying with my husband. I find a lot of joy in nature and being out and about in the hills or at the beach.

Recreation/hobbies/interests? “When I am not teaching, the things I love most to do are…”: Don’t get me wrong, I’m NOT a sport/sporty person… by any stretch of the imagination… but I love netball. Netball is something I played in school, then again at uni, and now with a few other teachers in a relaxed social competition!

A little known thing about you. “People may be surprised to discover that I…”: I’m related to half the school (this is an exaggeration) but I do think I am up there with the most relatives at the school. As I have two children, three siblings, and four cousins who attend the College. And my own children are third generation attendees at the school.

Geraldton Christian College
Chloe Kietzmann with her work ‘High Chair’.

Chloe and Mason submit final Visual Art pieces

By Annalise Edwards
Year 12 Visual Art Teacher

Year 12 Visual Art students Chloe Kietzmann and Mason Smit are breathing a sigh of relief as the final artwork pieces they have been working on all year are sent to Perth for external SCSA marking.

Both students put in a great effort in order to complete the work by the deadline – it is never as easy as it looks! Visual Art involves going through a creative process, occasionally adapting and innovating ideas, in order to over come design challenges.

These two showed critical thinking skills and executed their pieces with pleasing technique.

Chloe’s artwork –
Title: High Chair
Media: Oil Paint, Acrylic Paint, and Paper on Canvas
Dimensions/Weight/Size: 60 x 90 cm

Excerpt from Artist Statement:
“‘High Chair’ is an oil on canvas artwork discussing the stresses and pressures contemporary society places upon youth or younger generations. I believe that exposure to high social and cultural standards, contradicting politics, and increasing prevalence of social media, often force young children to put aside their adolescence and essentially ‘grow up’… The use of thick, expressionistic brushstrokes and texture created with palette knife application adds to the messiness of life and blurred boundaries or roles … The artwork discusses the impacts culture or society has upon young impressionable individuals and the implications of self-medicating, substance abuse and mental health issues. The young individual is positioned in a large chair and ‘expected’ to act at a higher age level than their own, resulting in high consequences.”

Geraldton Christian College
Mason Smit with his artwork ‘Gluttony: A Journey of Self-Hatred”

Mason’s artwork –

Title: Gluttony: A Journey of Self- Hatred
Media: Acrylic Paint and Twine on Canvas
Dimensions/Weight/Size: 144 x 95 cm

Excerpt from Artist’s Statement:
“Gluttony: A Journey of Self-Hatred (hereafter, GJSH) is an acrylic and textile on canvas artwork discussing the impact of radical left and right-wing movements concerning physical health. Recently I’ve observed the Body Positivity Movement (hereafter, BPM), growing in popularity, and the idealizing of a healthy physique becoming taboo. ‘Obesity’ and other unhealthy lifestyle choices promoted by the BPM are becoming ‘confidence.’ I believe the obesity promoted by the BPM is (physically) damaging, instead of a form of empowerment, and I aim to promote discussion as to where the line is drawn from self-assured and accepting, to unhealthy and life-shortening. Alternatively, conservative groups that discuss the importance of physical health, often promote extreme diets and calorie-tracking. I believe this too can be mentally damaging. These opposing ideologies both implement radical approaches, often resulting in further damage (mental or physical) to people experiencing eating disorders. Through GJSH I express the need for an equilibrium to be attained. “

Writing awards: Student entries published in full

Three Geraldton Christian College students, including a brother and sister, were honoured at the recent Randolph Stow Awards held in the College Hall. Our students’ work is reproduced here, with permission.

Geraldton Christian College
Mia-Louise … highly commended.

The hope and grief we receive
By Mia-Louise M.
Highly commended: Upper Secondary Poetry

Why has she been diagnosed with lung cancer.
I prayed to the Lord but the prayers were unanswered
My heart thumped out of my chest
I felt the panic – lungs compressed
The family gathered together in compassion
As we were holding tight, our faces ashen
The battles hard and the journey is long
But she will stay in our hearts where she belongs
In the hardest challenges joy is always found
We rejoice and sing as the memories abound
The white doves flew upon a tree
A gift from her for me to see.

Geraldton Christian College
Lysander… highly commended.

The Crab and the Monster
By Lysander F.
Highly commended: Lower Secondary Prose

Thunk! The crab scuttled out from behind a large black rock at the entrance to his burrow at the sound. There was a big brown oblong thing lying on the sandy beach. He scuttled up the sucking sand toward the thing.
The crab crawled cautiously from a small dark rock to a large shiny orange shell and was finally next to it. He gently tapped the hairy thing, then quickly scuttled back down the beach to the dark rock. After a while, nothing happened, so, the still inquisitive crab peeked out from behind the rock.
The crab started off toward the thing. He scuttled behind the orange shell again and building courage, he advanced toward it. He smacked the thing as hard as he could with his claws. It didn’t crack, it just sat there on the sand and loomed over the crab. The crab was afraid. He didn’t know what this monster was. It was not like an egg for it didn’t crack when he’d smacked it as hard as he could. In fact, it didn’t do anything. He ran back to his hole.
The crab clacked his claws and called all the other crabs that lived on his beach and told them about the big brown monster that had alighted upon the sand. They all agreed to work together to try and push it into the turquoise ocean that bordered the beach, for they were afraid of the unknown monster.
As one, the crabs all scuttled up the sand, and, with the first crab in the lead, pushed and heaved at the monster until it shifted out of the divot caused by its fall. It rolled down the sand into the waves’ foam. It bobbed up and down with the waves and was finally pulled out to sea by the current. All the crabs rejoiced with much clacking that the monster was off the beach as they scurried off to their holes in the sand.
Thump! Another monster landed on the beach. The crab peeked nervously out of his hole at it. He ran back into his hole. He was scared. Obviously the first monster had called another.
Late the next day the crab heard another sound. Crack! Until then he’d been too afraid to approach the new monster, but now he scuttled out of his hole and went to investigate. It had split in half. The crab slowly and cautiously scampered up the beach to see what had happened.
Looking inside the halves, the crab saw that there was a white kind of flesh inside of it. It looked like monster insides. He nervously pulled at the white flesh and with some effort, some came away from the rest of it. The crab tasted it. It tasted amazing. The flavours burst in his mouth. It was way better than the bland, slimy algae he usually ate. He excitedly clicked his pincers to call the other crabs.
All the crabs that lived on the beach bustled toward the monster and crowding around, they each tasted the white innards for themselves. They were amazed at the exquisite taste. Then the crabs lugged it down the sand and that night, under the crescent moon, they feasted on the flesh of the coconut.

Author’s note: I was inspired to write the story after making this Lego creation below. I had a lot of fun writing it.

Geraldton Christian College

Searching for love
By Nesaea F.
First place: Middle Secondary Poetry

The salty spray splashes up,
Mixing with the taste of tears.
He stands on the wet sand still as a statue,
Watching the waves with longing.
Staring at the sunset reflecting off the water,
He is reminded of someone he knew.
The fiery reds and oranges of the setting sun’s rays,
Like the colour of her hair.
He wants to see her,
To look again into her eyes.
They had looked like the sea,
Their green and blue colour always shifting, changing.
But he can’t.
She left, like the quickly retreating tides.
Taking with her his heart,
Down, down, down,
Into the deepest trenches.
He steps into the surf,
The washing of the waves like her embrace.
Fierce and soft at the same time,
Different.
Now underwater he can hear her voice again,
The currents like her song.
He remembers the way she used to talk,
Her voice ever changing.
He follows her voice,
It carries him forward into the darkness.
Bubbles escape from his lips,
He doesn’t realise how breathless he is.
Alighting upon the sea floor,
He sees a soft glow.
Her hair floating around her like a wreath,
Her eyes filled with tears.
He swims towards her,
Reaching out.
Sinking into her loving arms,
Finally together forever.

Seb E. (Year 10) with friend Alex E. (Year 11).

Investment success: Seb makes WA top 25 in ASX Sharemarket Game

By John Tilinger
Secondary Teacher (HASS and Modern History)

Seb E. (Year 10) has been finding success in the annual ASX Sharemarket Game. His virtual investment portfolio is currently the 23rd most valuable in the state and 246th in the entire country. Given that more than 13,000 students compete each year, this is no small feat!

When originally asked about the strategies that led to his success, Seb was humble and said that he was “just lucky”. However, like many entrepreneurs, he has a natural knack for implementing strong investment strategies. After an interview, we can now reveal Seb’s top investment tips!

Tip 1: Diversification

Seb realised that investing in few companies leads to increased risk in the sharemarket. However, if you spread your investment too thin, there is limited reward. As a result, Seb invested in five companies he believed would do well, all of which were from different industry sectors. By diversifying his portfolio, he was able to quickly locate the pulse of different sectors and found success in a medical company.

Tip 2: Sell ‘Money Sinks’ and Reinvest

After investing in various companies, Seb noticed that some shares were decreasing the value of his portfolio. Due to the COVID-19 lockdowns and declining mineral prices, it seemed unlikely that these stocks would recover anytime soon. Seb decided to act:

“My portfolio value was going down, so I quickly sold poor performing shares so they wouldn’t become a money drain. I then reinvested in the medical company that was doing well.”

Tip 3: Keep Track of the Market

According to Seb “you need to keep checking [the stockmarket] so you know when to buy and sell.” His consistency in checking prices each day makes him more likely to buy and sell shares at the right time.

Seb’s most recent move was to invest in retail companies such as Harvey Norman. This decision came after he heard people at school talk about news reports, which stated that people in lockdown were consuming more electronics to stay entertained. Seb’s decision suggests that good investors continually check the market prices and recent news before planning their next move.

Geraldton Christian College

‘Stepping up’ a recurring theme

By Rovaun Alexander
Materials Design & Technology Teacher

As Term 3 draws to a close, it has become apparent to the Year 10s that “stepping up” seems to be a recurring theme threaded through their curriculum. This includes Design and Technology. The past trimester has seen the Year 10s constructing and documenting their build of a wooden stepping stool for use in the pantry at home, or simply as a stepper for reaching top shelves. Students used complex tools and machinery to build a quality piece of furniture.
Well done, everyone.

Geraldton Christian College

Coming up in Term 4

11 to 15 October: Year 12 mock exams
20 October: Yr 1 Primary Assembly (2.06pm to 3.00pm)
20 October: Sports Presentation Night (PP to Yr 10, 6.00-8.00pm, College Hall)
21 October: Yr 12 Final Assembly in Amphitheatre, 1.15-3.00pm (family and friends all welcome to attend)
22 October: Yr 12 Breakfast and Retreat
23 October: Yr 12 Graduation and Valedictory Dinner (ticketed events)

Noticeboard

MANGOES FOR SALE – $50 a box (10 kg)
Lighthouse Church are running their annual fundraiser again in 2021, which supports Ruma Abedona Hospice in India.
Fruit, picked by volunteers in Kununurra, should be available in late October/early November.
To order box/es, please send an email to fiona.davidson@gcc.wa.edu.au advising how many boxes you wish to purchase. Cash on pick up please (or EFT details can be given when fruit arrives).

NOTE: Orders will be prioritised according to when emails are received. Depending on the season up north, fruit stock available may be limited – so get in early!!