Week 4 Term 2 2021

Posted by Gavin Box
Geraldton Christian College
Imogen gets up close to a turtle. Coral Bay Outdoor Education Camp 2021.
NINGALOO ADVENTURE

Coral Bay College-first

By Andre Steenekamp
Secondary Physical Education and Sport & Recreation Teacher

As a College and Physical Education department we always endeavour to extend the learning opportunities of our students. This year we have pushed the boundary further, with our first visit to Coral Bay; embracing the beauty of this World Heritage Site in beautiful WA.

The camp and the preparation in particular focused on exploring and recording the abundance of world famous marine activity on the Ningaloo Reef, which coincides with some of the best conservation efforts. Needless to say, students had breathtaking opportunities to ponder God’s beautiful creation.

The joy of diving, fishing and camping was also met with adversity when caught up in the middle of an unexpected tropical storm, which required next-level teamwork and problem solving. Hats off to the students who in true Geraldton Christian College spirit united and delivered an outstanding effort.

It was truly one of my most memorable camps. It finished with a whole group worship session, to get our trouble-shooting bus from Northampton to Geraldton. Proud moments.

Well done, Coral Bay pioneers! You have: “Finished the race, fought the good fight and kept the Faith” 2 Timothy 4:7

Geraldton Christian College
Coral Bay Outdoor Education Camp 2021.
Geraldton Christian College
Coral Bay Outdoor Education Camp 2021.
Geraldton Christian College
Coral Bay Outdoor Education Camp 2021.

STUDENTS’ POST-CAMP COMMENTS:

My highlight for Coral Bay was the diving and fishing. I really enjoyed looking at all the different species and many different types of coral. The most fascinating species was the triple tail black fish. It was very defensive of its home. With the fishing, I enjoyed gutting and cleaning the giant trevally which Xavier caught. Good job, mate. It tasted surprisingly good with all the seasoning we added and was a good meal to share.
Sebastian

Our highlight of the Coral Bay camp was the diving and the marine life we got to see and discover. We learnt a lot about each other and we got to experience some of the funniest memories of our school time. We were very blessed to have experienced this. It was an awesome camp and very memorable.
Jana and Jess

Never did I think that my trip to Coral Bay would consist of sleeping on a water bed in the middle of a tropical storm. It was quite an experience. Even though it was cold and wet, I loved how we all took care of each other in a time of adversity. We bonded in the middle of a storm!
Aimee

Wow! What an adventure it was. First trip to Coral Bay with the best group ever.
Thought we were going to a warm summer breeze that turned out to be a tropical storm, which made it even more exciting. An amazing experience swimming with the gorgeous turtles and stingrays. Loved it!
Mia

Such an amazing experience. We were lucky enough to see so many beautiful fish and coral species. The highlight of this trip for me was not only the amazing ocean scenery, but also the storm that unfortunately hit the camp site. This was a highlight because of how everyone responded to this situation, taking the initiative to help out, but also to have fun. I feel so privileged to have been on this camp and to have built closer friendships, as well as learning new things from others.
Imogen

What a privilege to travel to beautiful Coral Bay with such a fantastic group of students! Highlights for me were the quality banter and big chats with everybody, learning new dances to stay relevant, watching the boys fish in the midst of the downpour, and – of course – diving amongst fascinating coral gardens and being surrounded by such a variety of reef fish (along with the odd turtle sighting)! How good is God’s marvellous creation?!
I’m very grateful to Geraldton Christian College for the opportunity to have been part of this trip, and for the new friends and experiences I have gained.

Ben Paschke – staff (the sideways person in the photo below)!

Geraldton Christian College
Coral Bay Outdoor Education Camp 2021.
Geraldton Christian College
Coral Bay Outdoor Education Camp 2021.

LIFE’S MIRACLE

Knit together with love

By Lizette Labuschagne
Secondary Teacher

“For you formed my inward parts. You knit me together in my mothers’ womb. I praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are Your works. My soul knows it very well.” Psalm 139:13-14

I have been meditating on this verse throughout my pregnancy these past eight months. And I am sure most mothers-to-be turn to this Bible verse to remind themselves God is in control in forming this amazing miracle inside a mother’s womb. But every time I read this verse, I think of my grandmother sitting in her rocking chair, patiently knitting a beautiful cardigan for my eldest daughter, Janeske.

I can still see the expression on her face. All her love is for this moment, focused on this new creation she has designed and the joy it will bring to her grandchild’s heart. Each stitch that she is putting together is filled with love and joy. Today, I find my youngest daughter, Leah-May, sitting patiently and knitting something for her little sister that will be born in June this year. Her facial expression is also full of love and excitement for the coming of this little life.

Geraldton Christian College
Lizette Labuschagne and daughter Leah-May.

Being pregnant is one of the most precious gifts that any woman could experience. For me, it is a time of being overwhelmed by God’s creation. God has this pattern He uniquely designed for each of his children. Patiently and with love, He is knitting this creation together. You and I need to remind ourselves that we too were once in a mother’s womb and that God has designed us to be the individuals we are. He could have snapped his fingers and created us, but He did not. He chose a more delicate process to stitch us loop by loop together.

We are so quick to see our own imperfections or to focus on our own shortcomings. But even worse, we are so quick to see the imperfections in the people around us. It could be because of jealousy, insecurity or simply because we become influenced by the critical worldview of today’s culture.

Our teenagers find it so hard to believe they are divine creation, designed and knit together by God, because the world says to them they are not. We need to remember that by putting ourselves or others down, we are insulting God’s creation and piercing His heart.

God needs each and every one of us to believe we are fearfully and wonderfully made. You have been designed for a purpose. You are perfectly made, according to God’s plan. We are all predestined for different actions, but we all have one purpose … and that is the Kingdom of God. Therefore, let’s choose not to pierce God’s heart with all the insults, but appreciate one another as God’s masterpieces.

Geraldton Christian College
Shelley Cox. Picture: Gavin Box, Geraldton Christian College

Chalk Talk is an ongoing series introducing new members of our teaching staff.

CHALK TALK

Shelley Cox: ‘Don’t give up. God is with you’

What is your teaching position at Geraldton Christian College? Secondary Health/Physical Education, Relief Teacher Kindergarten to Year 12 (all areas).
Where and when did you obtain your teaching qualification? Edith Cowan University Graduated July 2005.
When did you start working at Geraldton Christian College? Term 1, 2021.
For those who don’t know you, tell us a bit about yourself. How would you describe yourself, etc? Adventurous, outgoing, fun and extroverted. Like to travel, meet new people and learn new things. Like keeping fit, being healthy and am committed to God.
What is your background and what did you do before you came to Geraldton Christian College? Teaching for the past 15 years in Perth, as well as being a life coach, running workshops and events over the past two years in Perth.
Where were you born and where have you lived before coming to Geraldton (assuming you weren’t born and raised here)? Born in the Wheatbelt, moved to Geraldton in Year 6 and did my high school education at Geraldton Senior. Lived in Perth after leaving Geraldton in my early 20s and spent nearly three years living in London.
In a nutshell, what has been your journey of faith? Have you always been a Christian? If not, how did this come about? I always believed there was a God, but I had no relationship and I wasn’t a Christian. I was born again and baptised in early March 2020. I now know the truth and the truth has set me free. “For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of the light.” Ephesians 5:8-9.
What would be the key life-shaping lesson you have learned about God/Christian discipleship, etc, that you would like to impart to young people? “If I could teach students one thing, it would be …”: Faith comes from hearing the word of God. We walk by faith not by sight. Don’t give up, as God is with us always and if we seek Him with all our heart he will reveal Himself to us.
Greatest joy of your life? Finding God and Knowing the truth, the way and the life.
Recreation/hobbies/interests. “When I am not teaching, the things I love most to do are…”: I enjoy the beach and outdoors in nature. I enjoy salsa dancing, travelling & playing, coaching and refereeing touch rugby.
A little known thing about you. “People may be surprised to discover that I…”: Came third in the World Salsa Championship in the United Kingdom in 2002. I have also competed and won awards in body building competitions.

Geraldton Christian College
Year 7 students at work in the garden.
GOD’S GARDEN

Growing strong in Him

By Lysander Foster
Year 7 student

Over seven weeks in Term 1, the Year 7 class worked with Wholistic Land Management Coordinator Mrs Kelly Harrington to plant a garden in the amphitheatre, to supply the Food Technology classes and the College with some herbs, spices, and vegetables.

The task was hard to start with, with some difficult work that took about two weeks to complete: removing weeds and bushes that had been there for a long time. It was fun while we did it, because we got to use a small hatchet, saws and clippers. We felt a great sense of achievement when we had finished. It took three weeks to prepare the soil for planting, using compost from the garden, molasses, water, and blood and bone.

We had to dig the soil to aerate it. We also built a wall around it, stopping the soil from falling out onto the pavement. It has been five weeks since we planted. Most of the plants have now taken root and are doing really well. Even the cotton plant, which was already there, has doubled in size because of the extra love it received.

Through preparing the soil and planting, we learnt about the parable of the sower in Matthew 13. We learnt that the Lord is the sower, the seed is the Word and the soil is our hearts. Whether we take in the word that the Lord sows is up to us. We should receive it with an open heart and learn it so that its roots can grow deep and flourish in our lives.

Geraldton Christian College
Year 7 students at work in the garden.
Geraldton Christian College
A student helps out Wholistic Land Management Coordinator Kelly Harrington.
Geraldton Christian College
Year 7 students at work in the garden.
Geraldton Christian College
Job well done. Year 7 students with Wholistic Land Management Coordinator Kelly Harrington.

UNIFORM UPDATE

Unpacking begins

By Fiona Davidson
Executive Assistant to the Principal

Great news!  Our new Geraldton Christian College uniform has arrived and is being unpacked ready for sale.  We hope to have Uniform Guidelines ready to email to families early next week, along with a price list.

We had some students try on new uniforms yesterday for photographs, and they overwhelmingly loved the new uniform items and are excited to start wearing them.  Further details coming soon …

PRAYER GROUP

Monday meetings

Parents are invited to join a small group every Monday to uphold the College in prayer. The group meets from 8.45am to 9.15am. Register at administration office, then proceed to the Primary lunch tables or staff room (depending on weather), and look for Kelly Harrington, Prayer Coordinator and Wholistic Land Management Coordinator. 

NOTICEBOARD

COMING UP

17 May: Excursions. Yr 7 Sport and Rec bodyboarding. Yr 8 Sport and Rec lawn bowls.
18 May: Excursion. Yr 11 ATAR Biology dune fieldwork assessment.
19 May: Excursions. Yr 10 Sport and Rec mountain bike riding. Yr 11 and Yr 12 General Outdoor Education hiking and mapping.
19 May: Transitions. Secondary information night for families of students enrolled in Years 4 to 6 this year.
21 May: Excursion. Yr 9 Sport and Rec orienteering.
21 May. Excursion. Yr 6 Basketball Slam Series at Geraldton Basketball Stadium.
24 May to 1 June: Yr 12 exams
24 May: Excursions. Yr 7 Sport and Rec bodyboarding. Yr 8 Sport and Rec lawn bowls.
25 May: Yr 9-10 subject selection evening
26 to 27 May: ACC cross country carnival in Perth
26 May: Excursion. Yr 10 Sport and Rec mountain bike riding.
28 May: Yr 9 Sport and Rec orienteering.
For more information, visit the Parent Calendar.