Week 9 Term 4

Posted by Fiona Davidson

Mighty God, Prince of Peace

There’s a video doing the rounds on social media where Father Christmas and one of his helpers are discussing COVID-19’s impact on Christmas.

It caught my attention for several reasons — not just because there was no mention of Jesus, who is at the very heart of the Christmas event.

The discussion focussed on staying safe and looking forward to a time when things could return to “normal”.

Of course, we all long for normality.

But when life is reduced to making money and buying things, which is the focus of a consumer-driven, economic rationalist world view — that’s not the abundant life Jesus promised.

As a Christian, we are urged to continually look at life from God’s perspective.

My wife Heike and son Max have a perspective on COVID-19 that’s uncommon in Geraldton.

Having recently come out of Germany, which is now back in lockdown, they are grateful to God they can share in the  freedoms we enjoy here — not having to wear masks, being able to go to the beach and catch up with friends.

It’s interesting to watch how COVID-19 has caused us all to reassess life.

A Deloitte report predicted early that the pandemic would cause a massive shift in human capital — people changing careers, re-evaluating what’s important.

Some of the biggest idols in Australian society have been shaken by the pandemic.

Think about the AFL. Many saw the organisation as being more interested in money than the love of the game and consequently have chosen to cut it from their lives.

As I think of man’s discussions surrounding COVID-19 and the recent US election, as I think about the pressures we face and the busyness of our lives, I’m encouraged by the ‘bigger purpose’.

There is always a bigger story going on — God’s story and His purposes.

It’s in recognising our place in His narrative that we find the peace that Jesus Christ alone offers.

Jesus … That Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Of the increase of His government and peace, there will be no end. 

Every knee shall bow and tongue confess.

I wish all of our families a joyous Advent season as we celebrate Christmas and a very Happy New Year. Enjoy spending time together as a family and make plenty of time for rest and relaxation.

We look forward to seeing you all again on 1 February when the new school year commences.

Blessings,

~ Gavin Hirschhausen, Principal

Primary Dress Up Day & Crazy Olympics

Primary students had fun on the last day of school dressing as “their future job”.

Nathan K in Year 6 decided to dress up as his teacher Jared Grimsley, left. Nathan said he wanted to be a teacher because he wanted to encourage people to do their best, something Mr Grimsley does well. He said Mr Grimsley also had a good sense of humour.

Elanore J in Year 2 wants to be a Police Woman when she grows up. This morning her Mum took her to the Police Station before school, where she had a tour from Renee, who presented Elanore with a medal at the end of their time together.

Students also enjoyed participating in Crazy Olympics activities today. Thanks to Mr Boonzaier for coordinating.

Farewells

It’s always sad saying goodbye to staff who leave at the end of the year.

Thank you for your service to the College – you will be missed! We wish you all the best for 2021 and beyond.

Teachers: Sanna Boothman, Bruce Douglas, Quenby Fabian, Steve Fletcher, Stan Fox, Joshua Gibson, Cynthia Moffat

Admin: Penny Fletcher, Carol Potaka

Details for new teaching and admin staff will be given in 2021, prior to the start of Term 1.

We want to say farewell to those students and families who are leaving us at the end of this year too. We pray that God will continue to richly bless you in the future.

Lost Property

We are buried here under a MOUNTAIN of lost property! This week Mrs Martin in Student Services has tried her best to return lost property to students. Unfortunately ALL of these many items are un-named.

If you recognise anything … please come into the College on Thursday or Friday this week to claim. After then, items will be donated to charity shops, and uniform put into secondhand stock. Do you have your child/ren’s jackets?? We have so many here!

Holiday Hours

The College Office will close this Friday 11 December, and reopen on Monday 11 January.

For any urgent issues, please email admin@scc.wa.edu.au. Emails will be checked intermittently over the holiday period and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.

Uniform

A letter will be sent home to families about the expectations for 2021 and changes to Uniform on Thursday. Please take the time to read this letter to ensure you are informed for next year.

HANGING TOUGH

Deputy Head Boy 2020, Justin de Vries, talks about a sometimes neglected virtue that holds great value throughout any generation — perseverance.

Perseverance

Justin delivered this speech at the Secondary End of Year Presentation Event on Tuesday 8 December:

This year has, for most of us, been incredibly challenging.

COVID-19 has made it one for the history books, but not for reasons we would like.

It has affected us all — teachers, parents and students. But we can thank the Lord we have been so fortunate here in Geraldton and in WA. Through God’s strength, we were all able to pull through this tough year.

In my short time here at the College, I learnt many valuable lessons. But none more so than perseverance.  In Years 11 and 12, which can be stressful, there were many times where I just wanted to roll over and accept defeat. It sometimes felt as though it was all too much.

But one verse that I stuck with me was Romans 5:3-5.

Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

This verse reminded me of the journey I was on. A journey planned and laid out by God for my life.

I knew that through the stressful times, God knew everything, and that everything that happened was part of his plan for my life. He was building within me perseverance for future struggles I would face, and character, that I may be able to spread God’s kingdom.

I loved my time here at the College. I often wish I came sooner than I did (Justin homeschooled before coming to SCC for Year 11 and 12).

I’ve made lifelong friends and made some incredible memories. The teachers here are amazing and they always encouraged me to persevere.

Some of you here are just beginning your life in Secondary school, others are on the final stretch. But to everyone in Secondary school, if I could give one piece of advice, it would be this. Persevere.

Remember you are on a journey set for you by God.

Remember, suffering produces perseverance, and perseverance, character. And character, hope.

Stay hopeful for the future. Enjoy your time at Strathalbyn Christian College. Have fun, but be respectful. Make new friends, learn, create joyful memories.

Before you know it, you will be out of school and in the “real world”. The time will fly by.

It was a privilege to serve you as deputy head boy. My prayer for the incoming heads and deputies, and everyone else at the College, is that you enjoy God’s richest blessings with whatever He has planned for your future.

Community Notices